RESL is a safe, versatile applied battery research laboratory with test systems ranging up to 100 kW, 1000 A, 800 V, and grid-regenerative.
Our facility and laboratory has a broad array of technical systems (electrical, thermal, data-acquisition) in a purpose built space for safety of our experiments, researchers, and the public. Specifically:
- Single-story non-flammable structure with multiple loading docks and egress points
- Division of test space, technical space, and monitoring space with fire-doors and safety-glass
- Sprinkler, safety shower, eyewash, and alarms
- Dedicated HVAC system and operation of the test space in slight negative pressure
- Fume hood for battery dissection
- Containerized battery storage (20′)
Four units to operate on the range of cells, modules, and entire large battery packs. A GLI-GK Regenerative Unit, 1 Arbin unit and 2 Neware units.
The first unit is the GLI 1, a grid regenerative battery pack cycler, with 2 channels and up to 800 V, ±400 A (±200 A/Ch).
The next 3 units are the Arbin, Neware 1 and Neware 2 as seen below.
- Arbin – Battery Module Cycler with 3 channels; 0-20V, ±300 A (±100 A/Ch)
- Neware 1 – Battery Cell Cycler with 8 Channels; 0-5V, ±200 A (±50 A/Ch)
- Neware 2 – Battery Cell cycler with 16 channels; 0-5 V, ±200 A (±50 A/Ch)
Two units including liquid and air cooling and a range of operation from -80 to +350 degrees C.
We have one vacuum chamber that can go down to 200 Pa.
Approximately 500 kWh of batteries available at all times, including lithium-ion, lead-acid, sodium-nickel-chloride, nickel-metal-hydride, etc. In the lithium-ion category we operate 4 positives (NCA, NMC, LMO, LFP), 2 negatives (GR, HC), 3 formats (prismatic, cylindrical, pouch), and 3 thermal types (passive, air, liquid)
A broad array of measurement instruments including: Fluke oscilloscopes, battery IR meters, and meggers; digital SG instruments; and a host of dataloggers from Campbell Scientific and DataTaker. We ruggedize these for site deployments.
Each measurement instrument has an important feature. In the lab, we have:
- Fluke DMM 289 – Dual Display; Recording
- Fluke DMM 87 – High Speed Max/Min
- Fluke BT510 – Battery Internal Resistance Measurement
- Fluke 1587 – Insulation level tester up to 1000V
- Fluke i1010 – Up to 1000 ADC; Scopemeter compatible
- Fluke 336 Clampmeter – Up to 600 ADC
- Fluke DMM 8845A – 6.5 digits resolution; high accuracy
- Fluke 190-104 4 channel Scopemeter – Real-time AC to DC power conversion calculations
- Elitech VGW-760 Digital Vacuum Gauge – Measures 0- 2000 Pa
- Anton Paar Specific Gravity Meter DMA35 – Ultrasonic; Bluetooth compatible
Our newest meter is the Fluke 8845A. It has 6.5 digits resolution and very high accuracy.
We build all our own cabling using high-quality Carol cable, Magna-lugs, and Anderson Power connectors. In order to make all of our own cabling we have a hydraulic crimper that is 10,000 psi, and is suitable for 4/0+.
Used for battery fill, analysis, and dissection.